[Digikam-users] Printing Problem ?

davidvincentjones davidvj at verizon.net
Thu Apr 16 00:41:52 BST 2009

Thanks for your extensive feedback::Gave me lots to ponder.

As mentioned in my first report I am able to print the identical image using
other 16 bit print routine programs that also utilize CUPS. So I somehow
doubt that the CUPS spooler is the problem. The printer is an HP B8800
series and I have the latest HP drivers in place.

The print file size is probably fairly large:    Typically at least 200 sq."
x (1200 x 1200) dpi. x 3 (RGB) all at 16 bit.
Unfortunately the print test routines both by CUPS and HP only provide for
tests on small paper sizes.

I do notice that as the print size in sq." is reduced the noise starts
further towards the end of the output.
The noise starts 'abruptly' and across the entire print width. On a very
large image (nearly full 13 x 19) about 20% of the image was affected ...
when I printed with wider margins the noise was reduced to about 15% or
maybe slightly less.

This is a new phenomenon for me. Using the earlier versions of DK I was able
to print full border-less 13 x 19 images without any difficulty so I do have
my suspicions over the current 0.11.0 version. The problem occurs either
when I print through the EDIT screen or while using the 'Wizard'.

David