[Digikam-users] exiv2 and metadata for png

Dick Angus RJA-Linux at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 2 17:17:30 BST 2009

am running Kubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.2.1, Digikam 0.10.0 (from Kubuntu repositories),
and exiv2 0.16 (from Kubuntu repositories). My photos are stored in png format.
Many photos have comments, tags, and such in the database. I try to use the
Album -> synchronize function and nothing appears to happen. The metadata
display on the right hand sidebar is blank. I try to use the image -> metadata -
> functions and everything comes up as read-only. Have I got something set wrong
or do I need to get version 0.18 of the exiv2 software? From my research I
thought exiv2 handled metadata edit for png from 0.16 or greater?

Here is the output from exiv2 -v image.png in a terminal for one of the images:
 File 1/1: Mike-0043.png
 File name : Mike-0043.png
 File size : 2931006 Bytes
 MIME type : image/png
 Image size : 1200 x 1800
 Mike-0043.png: No Exif data found in the file

I thought the album -> synchronize function would copy the data; comments, tags,
and such, from the database into the exif/iptc/xmp data of the photo file. I
also looked at the iptc and xmp and it is read-only as well. The metadata ->
edit caption option does show the caption in edit mode. I must have really
misunderstood something about the metadata and how to use it?

An old mainframer getting current