[Digikam-users] Preview and editing of raw

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 22:24:20 BST 2008

On Sunday 28 September 2008 20:04:50 skmg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I see that preview of CR2 image differs much from the same image which is
> loaded for editing. Editing image is more lighty, with other color balance
> and etc. I can not get same colors as it showed in preview. How can I reach
> these colors by editing and converting to jpg?

Sorry to start with a heretic question: if you want an image to look like a
jpg, why don't you shoot in jpg mode?

If you shoot RAW images you should want to control how they look whatever that
means. You want your own thing!

It took me quite a while to realize that for myself: If I like the way the
jpgs straight out of the camera look there is no reason to shoot in RAW and
try to reproduce something that the manufacturer took a lot of care and money
to produce (that particular recipe is hard to beat). I rather take the jpgs,
convert them to a lossless format like png and be happy with it.

When I use RAW images nowadays I have a particular aim in my mind or I just
play with the freedom of interpretation, I've given up to imitate industrial
products which are close to perfect in their own sense (jpgs straight from the
camera).

Other good reasons to take RAW images are: fidelity, repeatability, noise
reduction, hight light and dynamic range recovery. In there are some reasons
that might you may want to reproduce the looks of industry fashioned products
(jpgs). Usually I can achieve that (with CR2s) by importing RAWs with
everything set to default, white balance set to camera and applying a camera
provided profile to the result.

Gerhard