[Digikam-users] Does somebody know if the Canon EOS 450D works well with RAW in 0.10?

Francisco Lorés Ara plores at telefonica.net
Mon Sep 22 21:25:46 BST 2008

Thank you Gilles. The problem seemed to arise from the relatively outdated
version of libkdcraw (0.1.4-11.1) offered in the repositories of my distro
(openSuse 11.0). The images had an awful magenta color cast. I have updated
digiKam to 0.9.4-2.1, and "tricked" libkdcraw in the interim (until new
versions come up in repository), by substituting the kdcraw executable from
version 8.83 to 8.87. Now this is my setup...

fsl at proton:~> rpm -qa | egrep 'digikam|libexiv|dcraw|libkdcraw3'
dcraw-1.404-7.1
digikam-lang-0.9.4-14.3
digikam-0.9.4-2.1
digikamimageplugins-superimpose-0.9.4-2.1
libkdcraw3-0.1.4-11.1
digikamimageplugins-0.9.4-2.1
digikam-doc-0.9.4-3.1
dcraw-base-1.403-2.2
libexiv2-2-0.16-29.1
fsl at proton:~>

I renamed the file

/opt/kde3/lib/libkdcraw3/kdcraw

to /opt/kde3/lib/libkdcraw3/kdcraw.orig, and copied /usr/bin/dcraw (version
8.87) to /opt/kde3/lib/libkdcraw3/kdcraw. Now 16-bit RAW files are converted
OK, except for the gamma value, which has to be applied together with white
balance. (The color profiles come from Canon's Digital Photo Professional, I
suspect they are not gamma corrected).

I know, I could compile and install the last sources, but for now I don't want
to break out the openSuSE automatic updates.  Anyway, this setup works GREAT.
Many thanks to you and everyone at the team for this great piece of software!

Francisco