[Digikam-users] Digikam-users Digest, Vol 40, Issue 21

Paristo paristo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:49:53 BST 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:50:50 -0400
> From: David Talmage <talmage at acm.orgNaN <talmage at acm.org>>
> Subject: [Digikam-users] Digikam on Acer Aspire One
> To: digikam-users at kde.orgNaN <digikam-users at kde.org>
>
> I'm thinking of getting one of these nifty Acer netbooks but before I do, I
> want to be sure that Digikam works well on it. I'll get the 1GB RAM, 120 GB
> hd, XP version and put Ubuntu + XFCE on it.
>
> Will this work OK for me as my only Digikam machine? I take my cammera and
> lights on assignment from time to time. I'll edit and print often before
> coming home. At home, I'll use either the little builtin display or a bigger
> external one.
>
> Dave Talmage

I dont know about digiKam but I tried few days ago F-spot on Acer Aspire One
(With Linpus distribution, 512MB, 8GB SSD) and it was very slow. I bet
reason was simple the Mono, because all other applications run very fast and
snappy. I tought then I would test digiKam on it but I didn't have time
then. Mayby I will test it week or so.
But I notived that screen was littebit too small for F-spot, because it does
not preserve the space on vertical size, digiKam has different thing and it
is easy to turn ON/OFF those sidepanels so digiKam could be much better
choose for small screens.
I didn't check out about the external monitor, I had bigger 1280x1024 size
but it needs first to be configured to have right resolution, without so the
laptop will stretch the 1024x600 resolution screen to it and it will look
ugly. There is few nice modding videos too, about adding memory or so big
SSD/SATA HD as you can get size as 2.5".
If you get such laptop and set digiKam working on it, tell results for us
too ;-)