[Digikam-users] Does no one ever want "custom order" in an album?

Dennis Meulensteen dennis at meulensteen.nl
Tue Sep 2 14:02:15 BST 2008

Op Tuesday 02 September 2008, schreef Chris G:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 12:13:05PM +0000, "Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Chris G wrote:
> > > I want to select pictures randomly from various places (i.e. from
> > > various different Digikam albums) and place them in a new album in a
> > > specific order which has nothing to do with their dates, alphanumeric
> > > file name or anything of that sort (no pun intended!).
> >
> > Does tagging the pictures not work your way ? In tag view
> > only the pics porting a specific tag are shown, then ordered
> > by either name/path/date/size/rating.
>
> So I tag some pictures with, say, "Long ride to Sudbourne" and then,
> when I look at them they're not in the order I want, they're in
> name/path/date/size/rating order.  I want the pictures to be in the
> order *I* specify which may have no relation to anything 'logical'.

Chris, I think what Arnd is trying to say is that this is not the way Digikam
was designed. To do it your way (and mine too!) Digikam would have to be
radically altered. I think this explains why nothing obvious has been done on
this wish list item for all these years now.
Everything in Digikam now revolves around so-called "albums" which (very
unfortunately IMHO) co-incide with file system folders. had the "albums" been
virtual or at least more abstract, this would have not been a problem.
Oh yeah, this post has got way too long: what I'm trying to say is I am afraid
we can kiss our wish goodbye for now...

Dennis