[Digikam-users] libexiv2 problem on kubuntu 8.10

Gandalf Lechner gandalf.lechner at univie.ac.at
Sat Oct 25 19:56:13 BST 2008

Hi all,

I haven't had a look at the development of digikam for some time, but since
there were a couple of messages saying bugs I reported earlier have been fixed
now, I wanted to check how digikam is evolving today. However, I ran a into a
problem. Probably this is due to my kubuntu update to 8.10 RC, a "kde4 only"
distribution. Before the update everything worked fine.

Also now, after the update, I can do the digikam checkout procedure,
compilation and installation with the same settings as before, since (as far
as I know) the only path change with respect to earlier versions of kubuntu is
that ~/.kde4 is now called ~/.kde. kde4 stuff is in /usr/lib/kde4 as before.
But after having compiled and installed, running digikam gives me

digikam: error while loading shared libraries: libexiv2.so.2: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory,

and digikam does not start.

The configure script had said before:
-- Found Exiv2 release >= 0.13
-- Found Exiv2: /usr/lib/kde4/lib/libexiv2.so

locate libexiv2.so.2 returns nothing, but locate libexiv2.so gives

/usr/lib/libexiv2.so
/usr/lib/libexiv2.so.4
/usr/lib/libexiv2.so.4.0.0
/usr/lib/kde4/lib/libexiv2.so
/usr/lib/kde4/lib/libexiv2.so.4
/usr/lib/kde4/lib/libexiv2.so.4.0.1

I also searched with apt-file search libexiv2.so.2 which package contains the
missing file, but this again returns nothing. So right now I don't know how to
resolve the problem, and, as usual ;-), any help is appreciated ...

Best,
Gandalf