[Digikam-users] How to "integrate" digikam and gimp?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 00:06:24 BST 2008

Gerhard Kulzer ha scritto:
> On Friday 17 October 2008 22:39:31 Gerlando wrote:
>> Installing kipi-plugins I've found a submenu with some commands to
>> import metadata, but I couldn't find nothing to export it!
>> It would be nice to have a couple of buttons, or something in the
>> right-click menu to copy and paste metadata!
>>
> Notwithstanding Arnd's answers, there is an easy way to copy metadata from
> image A to B: use the metadata import feature. I explain: choose the image
> with the lost metadata (from Gimp) and import metadata from the original
> image. All metadata (EXIF, Makernote, IPTC and XMP) will be imported, no
> editing needed.

But this doesn't answer the last question: I didn't find a way to
*export* metadata so I can use it with the metadata import feature!
Can you suggest me a way please? Clicking on "save" in the right pan
iptc tab doesn't seem to make a file that I can import this way!

> An easier solution is to use a newer Gimp version.

I googled a little looking for info, and found that gimp 2.4 actually
preserves exif metadata but not iptc.
It seems that gimp 2.6 supports xmp metadata, but since I'm not an
expert, I'm not sure if this means that the iptc keywords tag written by
digikam, for example, will preserved if I edit the image with gimp 2.6.
Maybe next week I'll upgrade and verify myself, but, in the meantime,
have you any hint?

Actually, I don't care which metadata standard digikam, gimp, or any
other software use, for me it could be sufficient  that this standard is
supported consistently by every gnu/linux app I can use (to create an
integrated environment), and maybe some of most used apps for other
OSes, like adobe photoshop or apple aperture.
(Obviously,  the other requirement is to use a free (as in speech :-)
standard, so we don't have to bother with patents and all this mess)

thanks or your attention,
gerlos

--
"Non puoi aspettarti di vedere al primo sguardo [...] Osservare
 è per certi aspetti un'arte che bisogna apprendere."