[Digikam-users] dynamic range problem

mfi mfi at go2.pl
Tue Oct 7 09:05:15 BST 2008

Hello,

Gilles Caulier pisze:
> Michael,
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem here.
>
> I have tested to import your RAW file using digiKam for KDE4
> (0.10.0-beta4) or digiKam for KDE3 (0.9.5-svn) using new RAWImport
> tool for image editor, and all work fine with highlight recovery settings.
>
> For RAW file decoding, i use libkdcraw based on LibRaw
> (http://www.libraw.org). LibRaw currently use the last dcraw code for
> demosaicing. Now look my screenshots:
>
> * This the preview of raw import tool with RAW demosaicing settings.
> Postprocessing use default settings (no gamma/curve/exposure
> adjustment) . Of course like it's a preview with a divided by 4 image
> size, huge zooming give artifact. But it's enough to set demosaicing
> configuration. Also, working on a reduced raw decoded image speedup
> computation. Note that i use 16 bits color depth, not 8 (it's a non
> sence to use 8 bits color depth with RAW)
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/temp/rawimport/pef-rawimport-preview.png

Is that possible in version 9.4 ? I am not familiar with svn and there's
no KDE 4 for gentoo at this moment. I can't see Raw Import Tab in my
digikam and I don't have options that You have below histogram. If this
is just version related problem I can wait a bit for a more current
release for my distro. I tried sharpening tool for digikam and now I
just don't want to use other program ;)

> And now, the best: the full raw image in editor. Look like the color
> (white balance) is better than RAW studio !
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/temp/rawimport/pef-editor.png
>
> For me, it's a good example how to use properly RAW files in digiKam.
The white balance in RawStudio is messed up, but it's my fault - I set
it up manually,  just to show the problem with highlights.

> Note : the preview from digiKam  icon view is rendered using JPEG
> preview image from RAW file. It's not RAW image data decoded. In fact
> the preview  JPEG  is adjusted using camera  firmware. It's still JPEG
> : only 8 bits color depth ! this is why highlight are broken, and it's
> a good example to explain why RAW is always better than JPEG.

But highlights are broken after RAW decoding as far as I understand...
Preview (didn't know RAW contains jpg previevs, thanks) is rendered
correctly and highlights aren't broken there... Did I miss something ?

> Unforget : jpeg is fine to take shot and publish as well the image on
> the web (fats workflow). Never use JPEG if you want to retouch photo,
> especially color settings ! This file format is not adapted and use
> lossy compression algorithm.

Thanks - that's why I use RAW instead of JPG ;)

> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier

Best Regards
Michael Fidler