[Digikam-users] questions about using RAW format...

Alexandre Racine alexandreracine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 20:18:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:38 PM, gerlos <gerlosgm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Alexandre Racine ha scritto:
> > Currently I just used irfanview (with Wine) to convert them to JPG,
>
> But... isn't it extremely slow and clumsy?
> Isn't it a lot easier using "save as" or that tools in the batch menu of
> Digikam to do just this thing? Or, even better, shouldn't be easier use
> some bash black magic ;-) together with ImageMagick?

Hi,

Yeah it is kind of slow with irfanview, but for JPGS it is fast. So I'll try
the batch mode in digikam.

There is just one problem. When I select a picture or multiple pictures,
there is nothing in the batch menu. No menu...  I am using the 0.9.4 version
in Ubuntu 8.10.

Is there something I do wrong???

I love batch commands for servers, but I'll stick to graphic when I am
playing with graphics ;)

Thanks all for the other suggestions.

> For example, to convert to jpg every png image in the current directory
> you just need something like:
> for image in `ls *.png`
> do
>    convert $image $image.jpg
> done
>
> Just put these lines in a script, and conversions won't be a problem any
> more. Ok, it's a stupid example, but believe me, you can do a lot
> smarter things!
>

> And also you can do a lot of interesting things using *.desktop files in
> KDE and/or konqueror (so, once setup, without the terminal!).
> For example, put these lines in a text file, let's say, "resize.desktop":
> |[Desktop Entry]
> Comment=Resize images to 1024 px, and put a copy on the Desktop
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec[$e]=convert -size 1024x1024 %f -resize 1024x1024 `basename %f `
> GenericName=Resize images for the Web
> Icon=filter
> Name=||Resize images for the Web|
> |Path[$e]=$HOME/Desktop
> Type=Application|
>
> When you drag any image or any group of images from any program like
> Digikam or konqueror or dolphin on the icon of "resize.desktop", after a
> while you will get on you Desktop a copy of each image, rescaled so that
> the larger border will be 1024 px. Just drag and drop. Easy!
>
> Another example? This one convert any dropped image to jpg and put it on
> the Desktop:
> |[Desktop Entry]
> Comment=Convert image to jpg, and put a copy on the Desktop
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec[$e]=convert %f `basename %f `.jpg
> GenericName=||Convert image to jpg|
> |Icon=filter
> Name=Convert image to jpg|||
> | Path[$e]=$HOME/Desktop
> Type=Application|
>
> Obviously, to make things easy (sorry, I can't know if you know the
> command line) I didn't add some more interesting features, like
> manipulating the base name of the image or changing the jpg quality, or
> just play a sound notification when processing end! Once you work with
> the command line for a while you'll figure how to do these "esoteric"
> things! ;-)
>
> Jus ask google about "KDE service menu" for more.
>
> > but I
> > have no intention du put Photophop on my Linux/GNU/Ubuntu box.
> >

> I think that once you know a little more gnu/linux you won't feel the
> need to use Photoshop any more. You can do almost everything with
> Digikam, and if it isn't sufficient for you, there's always Gimp! (Now
> it is starting to support 32 bit image processing, great!) or Krita!
>
> regards
> gerlos

Alexandre Racine
www.salsamontreal.com - La référence Salsa!