[Digikam-users] How to add a vignette?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:33:00 GMT 2008

Julien Narboux ha scritto:
>> Arnd,
>>
>> yes, it's possible to add vignetting with current algorithm from this
>> tool. I have just limited slider for that, because... i cannot see why
>> a photograph want to _add_ vignetting to an image.
>>
>> So it's a 5 mns fix to do (:=)))
>>
>> Gilles
>>

> Gilles,
>
> It may sound strange, but adding vignetting is a very common practice to
> focus the attention on the center of the picture.
> Here are examples:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryoh/2266736840/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcdead/2937496253/

Here some more examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerlos/2921951420/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerlos/2256996498/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerlos/2882308359/

Julien is right... Even Ansel Adams suggested to darken the borders of
the prints to "don't let the eyes wandering outside of the photo". I
love this technique because make the shot look less "flat", and a lot of
people usually make the borders slightly darker (many times you won't
even notice it, you need to see the original to see the change).

Really, it would be great if we could do a feather selection of part of
the image and let some tools act *only* on it or only on the remaining
part of the image (just as an inverted selection). For example, for
darkening borders I could select the central part of the image, invert
the selection, and use the curves tool to get the desired effect.

This way we could do a lot more things, without the need to add more
tools. In this moment I don't see any use for the selection tool in
digiKam, but maybe I didn't look carefully enough...

Do you think I should add these wishes to the bug-tracker? Sorry if it's
not a new idea...

regards
gerlos