[Digikam-users] [OT] Monitor Calibration with whacky White Point

Paul Waldo paul at waldoware.com
Mon Nov 17 16:40:11 GMT 2008

----- "gerlos" <gerlosgm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Waldo ha scritto:
> > Hi gerlos,
> >
> > I tried using the new and improved version of Monica, GAMMApage. It is in
> > essence an Adobe Gamma tool, with 3 colored blocks and a gamma gradient. I
> > had unlinked the three sliders and made the squares as they should be. The
> > problem is that the gamma gradient still had a brown color cast; it should
> > have been all gray.
> >

> A somehow yellowish cast is typical of a calibrated screen, if it's not
> too much it should be OK and a sign that you did the right thing. It may
> take ten minutes before you adapt your eyes to it.
>
> If it's too much...maybe something went wrong! But maybe it's better to
> wait for some guru to answer to answer, I'm not sure what to do in such
> extreme cases!
>

> good luck
> gerlos

It is incredibly hard trying to get a screen at the wrong temperature calibrated!

So, I spent about an hour tweaking the gamma, brightness and contrast for R, G and B channels. Its not the best job in the world, but Norman Koren's Gamma Chart looks pretty good and his Black Level Chart shows I have removed the bad color cast I had before.

While these results would appear promising, I'm not sure I believe that the changes have done much for me. Now anything that is supposed to be white on screen has a definite blue color cast that won't go away no matter how long I stare at the monitor.

Does anyone have any sage advice, or suggestions for a forum better suited to these issues? Thanks in advance!

Paul