[Digikam-users] digiKam under windows

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:51:00 BST 2008

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2008/5/29 Fabien <fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com>:
>> It's possible to easily get digikam under windows...
>> I tried Ulteo Virtual Desktop which runs a linux kernel under windows
>> (see http://www.colinux.org/) to have linux apps.
>> Note: it's not a virtualization software...
>
> If it's not a virtualization stuff, how Qt3/KDE3 libs are compiled
> under windows ?

They are not compiled under windows, but under linux. Linux OS is
running inside windows, but without hardware emulation !

So, it's faster than using a virtual machine (a la
vmware/virtualbox/...), but slower than a native app.

>> It works, but unfortunately, it's an old version (0.8.2) because ulteo
>> seems to be based on Debian stable.
>
> Ah, Debian stable do not have last digiKam stable 0.9.3 tested by developpers ?
>
> Debian is really a non sence for me (this is not a troll, just my
> viewpoint as developper)...
It's the "problem" with distributions which make releases every ~2
years. But, believe me, on a server, you're happy to get something
stable for a few years without having to reinstall/upgrade every 6 months.
For sure, on a multimedia pc, it's quite boring :)

--
Fabien