[Digikam-users] 16bit editiing and auto-whitebalance

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Mon May 12 01:28:57 BST 2008

Gerhard Kulzer-3 wrote:

> This holds true, and if you have a recent libkdcraw the D60 is supported.
> I always work with digiKam for reviewing the raw image quality, no need to
> extract thumbnails by another application, digiKam does it.

Hi Lawrence and Gerhard,

Does digikam extract the jpeg as a separate file, or display it as a
substitute for the decoded raw file, or both?  I extract the embedded jpeg
as a separate file (from the command line - it's just easier for my
particular workflow) and use it for storing metadata and also for quick
reviews regarding sharpness, etc, as Gerhard suggests.  The Canon 400d
embedded jpegs are around 700kb, more than big enough for emailing to
friends, so useful to have as separate files.