[Digikam-users] How does one use digikam source for casual testing?

Lawrence Plug ljp at dal.ca
Fri May 9 15:13:49 BST 2008

Hi Paul,

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 12:22:12PM -0400, Paul Waldo wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Lawrence.
>
> There are two main scenarios that I'm concerned about.  The first is immediate
> and obvious image trashing.  I do maintain backups; I have bacula write backups
> to a separate server every night.  So, if the new software immediately trashes
> all my photos, I *could* restore them.  I would certainly prefer to avoid that
> situation, though.
>
> The second scenario is much more insidious.  Let's say that a bug causes image
> corruption that is not immediately obvious.  Your image thumbnails look fine
> but, unbeknown to you, the bug has truncated your original image file.  Imagine
> the feeling of dread when, seven months from now, you go to print that
> priceless image of your child as an infant, only to find out that image has a
> file size of zero.  My backups only live for six months, so I'm out of luck.

I understand the concerns. As I noted I've had not problems, but
before switching to svn (and any new version) I do a full
_additional_ backup (thank goodness for cheap disks), which I
don't touch until I've used the new version for a while, poked
around with files and monitored the results. Its not a perfect
solution as it is an incomplete and informal process, granted. In
addition I have the DVDs of originals.

> I know that with digital images, there is a certain amount of faith in both the
> hardware and software used to store and manipulate images.  I've been in this
> business too long to have blind faith, though :-)

Crap happens :-) In a previous life I maintained tape backups for
a multiuser system using appropriate incrementals etc. I sure do
prefer the ease and informality of multiple external disks,
unison, and a remote server, for my personal use!

> What I would like to be able to do is take a subset of my images, make copies
> in separate location, and test the new software with those images.  I'm afraid
> though that if I just fire up new software, it will look for the existing
> configuration, and start processing my real (not test) images.  Is there any
> way to have "non-production" digikam use a different album root?

And here is the simple question for which I do not have a simple
answer.. how to tell the svn digikam to use a different root.

someone here should know?

A workaround would be to run the svn digikam as a different user.

cheers