[Digikam-users] Albumroot on remote filesystem

Andreas Weigl kde at silicoids-world.de
Tue Mar 18 18:24:30 GMT 2008

Hi

Am Sunday 16 March 2008 schrieb Marcel Wiesweg:
> > Why? What is the problem? If it is only network traffic, it's no problem
> > to me.
> > Has anyone ever tried with success?
>
> See here, section 6.0, third paragraph:
> http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html
>
> SQLite is operating on a file on disk, and, as a database featuring
> concurrent access (and digikam using this), has to use file locking.
> Someone said it worked with NFSv4; I dont know about SMB.

Well, it depends. If you know, that you will access the SQLite database only
from one host (start digikam only on one host) then it isn't a problem. In
this case I would recommend to set the nfs option "nolock". In this case the
lock isn't distributed to the nfs server and works reliable. The lock is only
set on the local system.

We have big oracle databases ( > 1TB ) running on nfs in our company. Oracle
uses locking on the data files. Oracle recommends to use the nolock option.

Andreas