[Digikam-users] Installing Digikam from SVN

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 17:13:22 GMT 2008

On 08/03/2008, Geoff King <gsking1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dotan,
>  I use Ubuntu (now alpha8.04), but the package names should be the same
>  or similar.  If you are using Kubuntu, these instructions should be
>  similar.  I'm not sure if all these steps are needed, since these are
>  from my last install notes.
>
>  You will want to use Synaptic (if it is installed or aptitude) to
>  FIRST remove ubuntu's version of digikam, gwenview,
>  kipi-plugins/libkipi, and exiv2 so that you can install source
>  versions. You may want to install synaptic if it is not already
>  installed, it is the default ubuntu gui package manager and i've found
>  it the easiest and most reliable gui to use.

Thanks. I don't like GUI package managers, in fact, I'm quickly
finding that I don't like GUI apps in a general sense. I use apt-get,
but I can install/remove the same packages either way.

I did remove the standard Digikam before starting, but reinstalled it
to solve dependancies. Now that I know about build-dep I will remove
it again.

>  libqt3-mt-dev
>  libqt3-mt
>  libqt3-headers
>  libjpeg62  [this name might be different]
>  libjpeg62-dev
>  libjasper1
>  libjasper-dev
>  libimlib2
>  libimlib2-dev
>  libsqlite3-dev
>  libperl-dev

$ sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev libqt3-mt libqt3-headers
libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev libjasper1 libjasper-dev libimlib2
libimlib2-dev libsqlite3-dev libperl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libqt3-mt-dev is already the newest version.
libqt3-mt is already the newest version.
libqt3-mt set to manual installed.
libqt3-headers is already the newest version.
libjpeg62 is already the newest version.
libjpeg62-dev is already the newest version.
libjpeg62-dev set to manual installed.
E: Couldn't find package libjasper1

>  You would then build and install from source or svn in this order.
>  exiv2 [I usually use the latest release] http://exiv2.org
>  libs [kipi, etc - I usually use svn]
>  graphics [digikam - I usually use svn]
>
>  If you have been trying to install things for awhile now, you may
>  benefit from running 'make clean' before you try again.

$ sudo make clean
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.

>  I do not update too frequently so I do not use a script, it's also
>  easier to see the errors and check everything.  These are my basic
>  commands after you've done all the 'svn up' stuff for each
>  directory...
>
>  CHANGE TO EXIV2 DIRECTORY
>
>  make config
>  ./configure
>  make
>  sudo make install
>
>  CHANGE TO libs DIRECTORY
>
>  make -f Makefile.cvs
>  ./configure --without-arts  [YOU MAY WANT THIS, I DON'T USE ARTS]
>  make
>  sudo make install
>
>  CHANGE TO graphics DIRECTORY
>
>  make -f Makefile.cvs
>  ./configure --without-arts --enable-debug=full
>  make
>  sudo make install

That is pretty much what the script on the digikam site does:
http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn

>  Hope this helps, Geoff

Thank you Geoff.

Dotan Cohen