[Digikam-users] Installing Digikam from SVN

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Mar 7 11:34:13 GMT 2008

Hi Dotan,

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 07/03/2008, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dotan,
>>
>> Just install developpement packages for Qt (including header files). Same
>> for all others dependencies. Look in README file for a complete list
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Gilles Caulier
>>

> Thanks, Gilles. I did look for a README file, but there was none in
> ~/libs (the folder that the install script made). Upon further digging
> I see that there is a README in ~/libs/kipi-plugins/ and it specifies
> libqt >= 3.3.x. I believe that it is called a different name in
> ubuntu, as apt-get cannot find anything by the name libqt. So I
> googled for a solution, but I could not find one. So I installed the
> Ubuntu version of digikam with the hope that it would resolve the
> dependencies.

This will have install the needed libraries (ie. *.so files in /usr/lib/)
needed for running digikam
but not the header files needed when compiling digikam.
Header files are in the corresponding packages with -dev.

> However, the SVN still fails. Can Digikam SVN only be
> installed on systems that call the file libqt, and therefore not on
> Ubuntu?
Don't worry, digikam compiles fine on ubuntu ...

Quite helpful is something like
   dpkg -l | grep qt
which (among a lot of other stuff ;-) lists
    libqt4-dev

So a
   sudo aptitude install libqt4-dev
should get you beyond the qt problem.
Very likely, there are further libraries and -dev packages needed
afterwards, which has to be resolved in the same way.

Hope this helps, best,

Arnd