[Digikam-users] Thumbnails update

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Wed Mar 5 19:14:47 GMT 2008

Dnia Wednesday 05 of March 2008, TransFXB napisaƂ:
> Hello forum, hello developpers,
>
> This is my first post in this forum.
>
> I use Digikam in Gnome environment (Gutsy 7.10) and I have several
> questions.
>
> 1) I have noticed that only thumbnails that are visible in the windows
> are updated/displayed, not the others until you scroll up or down.
>
> Why not continue updating as a background task the others that are not
> visible?

Not a programmer so I may be making some things up but:

That was the case in the beginning but thanks to some Qt quirk it wasn't
possible to *stop* caching at some reasonable moment and whole album
thumbnails would be cached. The result was often significant slowing of
machine due to memory usage. Following popular request caching of
invisible thumbnails was switched off.

I hope situation changed and in future (as of 0.10 series) caching would
be possible.

m.