[Digikam-users] Digikam is really slow when used with NFS and wireless

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 5 15:06:53 BST 2008

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2008/6/5 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> Andreas Weigl wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> * What is the speed of your wireless network? Check with iwconfig.
>>> * How much traffic do you see? A good tool is iptraf. Maybe do a wget of a
>>> large file and check the speed
>>> * Are you the only person using the access point?
>>> * What are the mount parameters that you are using? I suggest nolock and noac.
>> Could this be related to the locking of the SQLite DB which (as has been
>> documented many, many times) is generally a bad thing.
>>
>> The same problems will be apparent not that FF3 uses SQLite.
>>
>> I'm not sure where it's at at the moment, but SQLite over NFS really
>> needs to get a whole lot better (assuming this hasn't already happened
>> and I missed it ;))
>>
>> Col
>
> Colin,
>
> This problem have been fixed in KDE4 port to store DB file outside
> photo repository and in local hardrive.

That's nice to know :)

Where does it store it? Does it ask the user for a location? I know on
some machines I admin there is no writeable space for the user on the
local machine. Well except from /tmp but it gets wiped on every boot....

Obviously the best solution all round is if sqlite worked over NFS. With
FF3 using it for some stuff it's another nail in the "Using NFS" coffin :(

Col