[Digikam-users] Tutorial: Color Management, Camera Profiles, & Working Spaces

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jun 1 18:12:02 BST 2008

   This tutorial on color management, camera profiles, and working spaces has
been put together in the hope that it will be commented on, corrected, and
possibly even incorporated into the digikam handbook.  The existing
information in the handbook is wrong on quite a few counts regarding color
management, and therefore confusing to a new user. Rather than complain
about the problems, I thought I would try to offer part of a solution.

	"Color Management" is a complicated subject.  Fortunately, as digital
photographers we only need to know enough to make a few good choices along
the image editing "pipeline" from camera to final output.  Hopefully our
color-managed image editor and all the other software we use in our "digital
darkroom" will then do all the "heavy lifting" behind the scenes.

	In this tutorial I will attempt to describe as simply and accurately as
possible two important color management choices:

(1)What "camera profile" should I use during the raw conversion process?

(2)What "working space" should I use while I am editing my image?

My goal in this tutorial is to put these two very important color management
choices in the overall context of an understanding of what color management
actually does.  Two other color management choices mentioned only in passing
(but stay tuned for the next tutorial!) are what monitor/display profile
should I use? and what do I do about choosing an "output" profile if I want
to print or email my image or perhaps publish it to the web?

Every camera is different:

	Digital cameras have an array of millions of little light sensors inside,
making up either a CCD or a CMOS chip (the difference between "CCD" and
"CMOS" is very interesting but beyond the scope of this tutorial; if you are
curious, google is your friend).  These light-sensing "pixels" are
color-blind. So to allow pixels to record color information, each pixel is
capped by a transparent red, green, or blue lens, usually alternating in
what is called a "Bayer" array.  The whole point of "interpolation" using
"demosaicing algorithms" such as dcraw's default "AHD" is to "guess" what
color light actually fell on any given pixel by "interpolating" information
gathered from that single pixel plus its "neighboring" pixels (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing).  After interpolation, the raw
converter software outputs a file (usually a 16-bit tiff) containing a trio
of interpolated R,G,B values for each pixel in the image.
	The good news regarding today's digital cameras is that the sensors, all
those little "pixels" on the ccd or cmos chip inside the camera, are capable
of capturing virtually ALL the visible spectrum.  The bad news is that the
this trio of R,G,B numbers for each pixel in an image, as produced by the
raw converter from the raw image that the camera stores on the camera card,
is essentially meaningless until "interpreted" by a camera profile that is
specific to the particular (make and model of) camera.  Why?  Because "pixel
response to light" is the result of lots of camera-specific factors
including: the nature of the sensor array itself, the precise
coloring/transmissive qualities of the lens caps, and the particular
"analog-to-digital conversion" and post-conversion processing that happens
inside the camera to produce the raw image that gets stored on the card.
(As an aside, the "analog-to-digital conversion" inside the camera is
necessary because the light-sensing "pixels" are analog in nature - they
collect a charge proportionate to the amount of light that reaches them; the
accumulated charge on each pixel needs to be turned into a discrete, digital
quantity by the camera's "analog to digital converter").

The "Universal Translator": your camera profile, the Profile Connection
Space, and lcms

	So the question for each RGB trio of values in the (let us assume) 16-bit
tiff produced by (let us assume) dcraw becomes, "What does a particular trio
of RGB values for the pixels making up images produced by this particular
(make and model) camera really mean in terms of some "absolute standard"
referencing some "ideal observer"?" This "absolute standard" referencing an
"ideal observer" is more commonly called a "Profile Connection Space".  A
"camera profile" is needed to accurately "characterize" or "describe" the
response of a given camera's pixels to light entering that camera, so that
the RGB values in the output file produced by the raw converter can be
"translated" first into an absolute Profile Connection Space (PCS) and then
from the PCS to your chosen working space.
	As a very important aside, for most of the open source world (including
digikam), the software used to "translate" from the camera profile to the
PCS and from the PCS to your chosen "working space" and eventually to your
chosen "output space" (for printing or perhaps monitor display) is based on
lcms (the "little color management engine" - see http://littlecms.com).  For
what it's worth, my own testing has shown that lcms does more accurate
conversions than Adobe's proprietary color conversion engine.  Further, for
almost all raw conversion programs, including commercial closed source
software such as Adobe Photoshop, the raw conversion is typically based on
"decoding" of the proprietary raw file done by dcraw.  David Coffin, author
of dcraw, is the hero of raw conversion - without him we'd all be stuck
using the usually "windows/mac only" proprietary software that comes with
our digital cameras.  For what it's worth, my own testing has shown that
dcraw's interpolation algorithms (not to be confused with the aforementioned
"decoding" of the proprietary raw file), if properly used, produce results
equal or superior to commercial, closed source software.  We in the world of
linux and open source software are NOT second-class citizens when it comes
to digital imaging.  Far from.
	There are two commonly used Profile Connection Spaces - CIELAB and CIEXYZ
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management, section on "Color
translation", then look up CIELAB and CIEXYZ on wikipedia).  Lcms uses the
camera profile to "translate" the RGB values from the interpolated raw file,
that is, the tiff produced by dcraw, into the appropriate Profile Connection
Space (usually CIEXYZ - why "CIEXYZ"? I haven't taken the time to learn).
	A "profile connection space" is not itself a "working space".  Rather a PCS
is an absolute reference space used only for translating from one color
space to another - think of a PCS as a  "Universal Translator" for all the
color profiles that an image might encounter in the course of its "journey"
from camera raw file to final output:

(1)Lcms uses the "camera profile", also called an "input" profile, to
"translate" the interpolated dcraw-produced R,G,B numbers, which only have
"meaning" relative to your (make and model of) camera, to a second set of
R,G,B numbers that only have meaning in the Profile Connection Space.

(2)Lcms "translates" the Profile Connection Space R,G,B numbers to the
corresponding numbers in your chosen working space so you can edit your
image.  And again, these "working space" numbers ONLY have meaning relative
to a given working space.  The same "red", visually speaking, is represented
by different "trios" of RGB numbers in different working spaces; and if you
"assign" the wrong profile the image will look wrong, slightly wrong or very
wrong depending on the differences between the two profiles.

(3)While you are editing your image in your chosen working space using your
favorite image editing program (which hopefully is digikam!), then lcms
should translate all the working space RGB numbers back to the PCS, and then
over to the correct RGB numbers that enable your monitor (your "display
device") to give you the most accurate possible "display" representation of
your image as it is being edited.  This "translation for display" is done
"on the fly" and you should never even notice it happening, unless it
doesn't happen correctly - then the displayed image will look wrong, perhaps
a little wrong, perhaps really, really, really wrong.  Stay tuned for the
next tutorial (assuming anyone finds this tutorial useful) for details on
color-managing your monitor display.

(4)When you are satisfied that your edited image is ready to share with the
world, lcms "translates" the "working space" RGB numbers back into the PCS
space and out again to a printer color space using a printer profile
characterizing YOUR printer/paper combination (if you plan on printing the
image) or to sRGB (if you plan on displaying the image on the web or
emailing it to friends or perhaps creating a slide-show to play on monitors
other than your own.

	To back up a little bit and look at the first color profile an image
encounters, that is, the camera profile (see (1) immediately above) - dcraw
can in fact apply your camera profile for you (dcraw uses lcms internally).
But (i)the generating of the tiff composed of the interpolated RGB values
derived from the camera raw file, and (ii)the application of the camera
profile to the interpolated file, are two very distinct and totally
separable (separable in theory and practice for dcraw; in theory only for
most raw converters) steps.  The dcraw command line output options "-o 0
[Raw color (unique to each camera)] -4 [16-bit linear] -T [tiff]" tell dcraw
to output the RGB numbers from the raw interpolation into a tiff WITHOUT
applying a camera ("input") profile (the words in brackets explain the
options but should not be entered at the command line).  Then, if you truly
enjoy working from the command line, you can use the lcms utility "tifficc"
to apply your camera profile yourself.  The advantage of doing so is that
you can tell lcms to use "high" quality conversion (dcraw seems to use the
lcms default "medium").  The disadvantage, of course, is that applying your
camera profile from the command line adds one extra step to your raw work
flow.

Where to find camera profiles:

	So where do we get these elusive and oh-so-necessary camera-specific
profiles that we need to "translate" our interpolated raw files to a working
color space?  The UFRAW website section on color management
(http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Colors.html) has a bit of information on where
to find ready-made camera profiles.  It's an unfortunate fact of digital
imaging that the camera profiles supplied by Canon, Nikon, and the like
don't work as well with raw converters other than each camera manufacturer's
own proprietary raw converter. Which is why Bibble and Phase One (and Adobe,
but ACR "hides" the Adobe-made profiles inside the program code), for
example, have to make their own profiles for all the cameras that they
support - keep this "proprietary propensity" of your camera manufacturer in
mind next time you buy a digital camera.
	But back to finding a camera profile for YOUR camera - the "real" answer
(assuming you don't find a ready-made profile that makes you happy) is to
make your own camera profile or have one made for you.  There are quite a
few commercial services who provide profiling services (for a fee, of
course).  Or you can use "LPRof" or "Argyll" to profile your camera
yourself.  I haven't yet walked down that road so I can't speak about how
easy or difficult the process of profiling a camera might be.  But I would
imagine, knowing how very meticulous the people behind Argyll, LPRof, and
lcms are about color management, that making your own camera profile is very
"do-able" and very likely the results will be better than any proprietary
profile.  After all, Canon (and also Bibble and Phase One for that matter)
didn't profile MY camera - they just profiled a camera LIKE mine.

Working Spaces:

	So now your raw file has been interpolated by dcraw and you've obtained a
camera profile and used lcms "tifficc" to "apply" your camera profile to the
tiff produced by dcraw (or you've asked dcraw to apply it for you).  What
does all this mean?  The "real" answer involves a lot of math and color
science that goes way over my head and likely yours.  The short, practical
answer is that neither the camera profile space nor the Profile Connection
Space is an appropriate space for image editing.  Your next step is to
choose a "working space" for image editing.  And then you (or rather the
lcms "color management engine" that your open source digital imaging
software uses) actually perform a "double translation".  First lcms uses the
camera profile to translate the RGB values of each pixel in the
"dcraw-output-image-without-camera-profile-applied" into the aforementioned
"Profile Connection Space". Then it translates the RGB values of each pixel
from the PCS to your chosen working space.

Confusions and confusing terminology:

	Before talking more about "working spaces", some confusions and confusing
terminology needs to be cleared up:
	First, sRGB is both a "working" color space and an "output" color space for
images intended for the web and for monitor display (if you have a spiffy
new monitor with a gamut larger than the gamut covered by sRGB, obviously
you might want to reconsider what output profile to use to best take
advantage of your wonderful and hopefully calibrated and profiled monitor,
but please convert your image to sRGB before sending it on to your
friends!).  sRGB is also the color space that a lot of home and
mass-production commercial printers "expect" image files to be in when sent
to the printer.  It is also the color space that most programs "assume" if
an image does not have an embedded color profile telling the program what
color space should be used to interpret ("translate") the RGB numbers.  So
if you choose to not use color-management, your color-management "choices"
are simple - set everything to sRGB.
	Second, all jpegs (or tiffs, if you have an older Minolta Dimage camera)
coming straight out of a camera (even if produced by point-and-shoots
cameras that don't allow you to save a raw file) start life inside the
camera as a raw file produced by the camera's A to D converter.  The
processor inside the camera interpolates the raw file, assigns a camera
profile, translates the resulting RGB numbers to a working space (usually
sRGB but sometimes you can choose AdobeRGB, depending on the camera), does
the jpeg compression, and stores the jpeg file on your camera card.  So
jpegs (or tiffs) from your camera NEVER need to be assigned a camera or
"input" profile which is then "translated" to a working space via a PCS.
Jpegs from a camera are already in a working space.
	Third, in case anyone is unsure on this point, note that an "interpolated"
raw file is no longer a raw file - it has been interpolated and then
"output" as a tiff whose RGB values need to be "translated" to a working
space, using the camera profile, the PCS, and lcms.
	Fourth (strictly for future reference), to introduce a bit of commonly
heard color-management terminology here - the camera profile and your
printer's color profile are both "device dependent," whereas the working
space will be "device-independent" - it can be used with any image, with any
properly color-managed software, without regard for where the image
originated.
	Fifth, above I have used the words "translate" and "translation" as a
descriptive metaphor for what lcms does when it "translates" RGB values from
one color space to another via the PCS.  The usual and correct terminology
is "convert" and "conversion", which I will use below.  The four "methods of
conversion" from one color space to another are: "perceptual", "relative
colorimetric", "absolute colorimetric", and "saturation".  Which method of
conversion you should use for any given image processing step from raw file
to final output image is beyond the scope of this tutorial.  The standard
advice is: when in doubt, use "perceptual."
	Sixth (and again, strictly for future reference),"assign a profile" means
"change the meaning of the RGB numbers in an image by embedding a new
profile without changing the actual RGB numbers associated with each pixel
in the image"; "convert" means "embed a new profile, but also change the RGB
numbers at the same time so that the "meaning" of the RGB values - that is,
the "real-world visible color" represented by the trio of RGB numbers
associated with each pixel in an image - remains the same before and after
the conversion from one space to another".  You should be able to do
multiple conversions of an image from one working space to another, and with
a properly color-managed image editor, even though all the RGB numbers in
the image will change with each conversion, the image on your screen should
look the same (leaving aside the usually unnoticeable small but inevitable
changes from accumulated gamut mismatches and mathematical rounding errors).
However, every time you "assign" a new working space profile rather than
"convert to" a new working space, the appearance of the image should more or
less drastically change (usually for the worse).
	Finally, (and this is a crucially important point), color management is NOT
"only relevant if you shoot raw".  Color management affects every stage of
the image processing pipeline, whether you start with a raw file that you,
yourself "interpolate and translate" into a tiff, or if you start with a
jpeg or tiff produced by your camera.

Copyrighted and "copyleft" working spaces:

	I will take it as given that ALL the ordinarily encountered working spaces,
such as:

(1)the several variants of sRGB (see http://www.color.org/v4spec.xalter)
(2)"BruceRGB" (http://www.brucelindbloom.com)
(3)the various "ECI" (European color initiative) working space profiles (see
"http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=en:colourstandards:workingcolorspaces")
(4)AdobeRGB, Adobe WideGamutRGB, and Kodak/Adobe ProPhotoRGB (Kodak and
Adobe ProPhoto are the same, just "branded" differently) and their
non-branded, non-copyrighted counterparts (Oyranos includes a non-branded
version of AdobeRGB; see
"http://www.behrmann.name/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=68")
(5) and quite a few others that could be added to this list

are all more or less "suitable" as working spaces.  Which working space you
"should" use depends only and solely on YOU, on YOUR requirements as the
editor of YOUR digital images with YOUR eventual output intentions (web,
fine art print, etc).
	However, as a critical aside, if you are using Adobe (or other copyrighted)
working space profiles, these profiles contain copyright information that
shows up in your "image exif" information.  Lately I've been perusing the
openicc mailing lists.  Apparently lcms can be used to produce nonbranded,
"copyleft" working space profiles that are just the same as - actually
indistinguishable from - the branded, copyrighted working space profiles.
It would be a wonderful addition to digikam if a set of "copyleft" working
space profiles, including nonbranded, relabelled versions of ProPhotoRGB,
AdobeRGB, and Adobe WidegamutRGB (perhaps in two "flavors" each: linear
gamma and the usual gamma), could be bundled as part of the digikam package.

Which working space: gamma

	Now, the next question is "which working space should I use?"  Wikipedia
says "Working spaces, such as sRGB or Adobe RGB, are color spaces that
facilitate good results while editing. For instance, pixels with equal
values of R,G,B should appear neutral. Using a large (gamut) working space
will lead to posterization, while using a small working space will lead to
clipping.[2] This trade-off is a consideration for the critical image
editor" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management#Working_spaces).
	Well, that quote from wikipedia is about as clear as mud and I don't know
if I will be able to explain it more clearly, but I will try.  "[P]ixels
with equal values of R,G,B should appear neutral" just means that for any
given pixel in an image that has been converted to a suitable working space,
if R=G=B you should see grey or black or white on your screen.
	I am not aware of a list of other technical requirements for a "suitable"
working space, though undoubtedly someone has produced such a list.  But
most working space profiles are characterized by (1)"RGB primaries" which
dictate the range of colors, that is, the "gamut" covered by a given
profile; (2)"white point", usually D50 or D65, which dictates the total
dynamic range of the working space, from 0,0,0 (total black) to the
brightest possible white; and (3)"gamma."
	The practical consequences that result from using different "RGB
primaries", leading to larger or smaller working spaces, are discussed
below.  The practical consequences for different choices for the working
space "white point" are beyond the scope of this tutorial.  Here I will talk
a little bit about the practical consequences of the working space "gamma"
(for an excellent article and references, look up "gamma" on wikipedia).
	The "gamma" of a color profile dictates what "power transform" needs to
take place to properly convert from an image's embedded color profile
(perhaps your working color space) to another color profile with a different
gamma, such as (i)the "display" profile used to display the image on the
screen or (ii)perhaps to a new working space, or (iii)perhaps from your
working space to your printer's color space.  (As an aside, mathematically
speaking, for a "power transform" you "normalize" the RGB numbers and raise
the resulting numbers to an appropriate power depending on the respective
gammas of the starting and ending color space, then renormalize the results
to a new set of RGB numbers.  Lcms does this for you when you ask lcms to
convert from one color space to another; however, if ALL you are doing is a
power transform, use imagemagick instead of lcms and just manipulate the RGB
numbers directly - the results will be more accurate.  Now aren't you glad
that I've kept the mathematics of color management out of this tutorial?)
	One practical consequence of the "gamma" of a working space is that the
higher the gamma, the more "tones" are available for editing in the shadows,
with consequently fewer tones available in the highlights.  So
theoretically, if you are working on a very dark-toned ("low key") image you
might want a working space with a higher gamma.  And if you are working on a
"high key" image, say a picture taken in full noon sunlight of a wedding
dress with snow as a backdrop, you might want to choose a working space with
a lower gamma, so you have more available tonal gradations in the
highlights.  But in the real world of real image editing, almost everyone
uses working spaces with either gamma 1.8 or 2.2.
	As an aside, recently I've heard that some people are trying to
"standardize" on gamma 2.0.  As a very important aside, sRGB and "LStar-RGB"
are not "gamma-based" working spaces.  Rather, sRGB uses a "hybrid" gamma -
see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB" for details.  And "LStar-RGB" uses a
luminosity-based "tonal response curve" instead of a gamma value - see
"http://www.colormanagement.org/en/workingspaces.html" for more information,
and then google around for more in-depth information.
	In addition to "gamma 1.8" and "gamma 2.2" the only other "gamma" for a
working space that gets much mention or use is "gamma 1", also called
"linear gamma".  "Linear gamma" is used in HDR (high dynamic range) imaging
and also if one wants to avoid introducing "gamma-induced errors" into one's
"regular" low dynamic range editing.  "Gamma-induced errors" is a topic
outside the scope of this tutorial, but see "Gamma errors in picture
scaling, http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html";
"http://www.21stcenturyshoebox.com/essays/color_reproduction.html" for
gamma-induced color shifts; and of course Timo Autiokar's somewhat infamous
website, http://www.aim-dtp.net/.
	Unfortunately and despite their undeniable mathematical advantages, linear
gamma working spaces have so few "tones" in the shadows that (in my opinion)
they are impossible to use for editing if one is working in 8-bits, and
still problematic at 16-bits (though I do use linear gamma working spaces
myself for some parts of my image editing workflow).  When the day comes
when we are all doing our editing on 32-bit files produced by our HDR
cameras on our personal supercomputers, I predict that we will all be using
working spaces with gamma 1; Adobe Lightroom is already using a linear gamma
working space "under the hood" and Lightzone has always used a linear gamma
working space.

Which working space: "large gamut" or "small gamut"

	One MAJOR consideration in choosing a working space is that some working
spaces are "bigger" than others, meaning they cover more of the visible
spectrum (and perhaps even include some "imaginary" colors - mathematical
constructs that don't really exist).  These bigger spaces offer the
advantage of allowing you to keep all the colors captured by your camera and
preserved by the lcms conversion from your camera profile to the really big
"profile connection space".
	But "keeping all the possible colors" comes at a price.  It seems that any
given digital image (pictures of daffodils with saturated yellows being one
common exception) likely only contains a small subset of all the possible
visible colors that your camera is capable of capturing.  This small subset
is easily contained in one of the smaller working spaces.  Using a very
large working space mean that editing your image (applying curves,
saturation, etc) can easily produce colors that your eventual output device
(printer, monitor) simply can't display.  So the "conversion" from your
"working space" to your "output device space" (say your printer) will have
to "remap" the "out of gamut" colors in your edited image, some of which
might even be totally imaginary, to your printer color space with its much
smaller gamut, leading to inaccurate colors at best and at worst to
"banding" ('posterization' - gaps in what should be a smooth color
transition, say, across an expanse of blue sky) and "clipping" (e.g your
carefully crafted muted transitions across delicate shades of red, for
example, might get "remapped" to a solid block of dull red after conversion
to your printer's color space).
	In other words, large gamut working spaces, improperly handled, can lead to
lost information on output.  Small gamut working spaces can clip information
on input.  Like Wikipedia says, it's a trade-off.  I can offer some
oft-repeated advice:

(1)For images intended for the web, use (one of the) sRGB (variants - there
are several).
(2)For the most accuracy in your image editing (that is, making the most of
your "bits" with the least risk of banding or clipping when you convert your
image from your working space to an output space), use the smallest working
space that includes all the colors in the scene that you photographed, plus
a little extra room for those new colors you intentionally produce as you
edit.
(3)If you are working in 8-bits rather than 16-bits, choose a smaller space
rather than a larger space.
(4)For archival purposes, convert your raw file to a 16-bit tiff with a
large gamut working space to avoid loosing color information.  Then convert
this "archival" tiff to your working space of choice (saving the converted
"working" tiff under a new name, of course).  See
"http://www.21stcenturyshoebox.com/essays/scenereferredworkflow.html" for
more details.

The "whys" of these bits of advice regarding "which working space" are
beyond the scope of this tutorial.  See Bruce Lindbloom's excellent website
(http://www.brucelindbloom.com/, Info, Information about RGB Working Spaces)
for a visual comparison of the "gamut" (array of included colors) of the
various working color spaces.  See
"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml" and
"http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm" for a
"pro" and "con" presentation, respectively, of the merits of using "large
gamut" working spaces.  And while you are on the "cambrideincolour.com"
website, check out the tutorial on color management.

	And this concludes my tutorial on color management, camera profiles, and
working spaces.  Once again, please feel free to comment, correct,
incorporate into the digikam handbook, or ignore altogether.  As I already
said, I couldn't help but notice that the existing information in the
digikam handbook is wrong on quite a few counts regarding color management
(regarding which I will post separately).  Rather than just complain about
the problems, I thought I would try my hand at spelling out some theoretical
background and practical consequences of color management choices regarding
"camera profiles" and "working spaces".

Elle