[Digikam-users] trying to install 0.9.4

Martin Fisher martin.fisher at fauna-flora.org
Sat Jul 19 09:49:44 BST 2008

Many thanks - I'm working on the wiki right now - it will take shape
over the next few days.

Martin

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 10:47 +0200, Arnd Baecker wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Martin Fisher wrote:
>
> > Yes, exactly, the mixing of different styles hurts my aesthetic sense.
>
> Perfectly understandable! I am not sure if there is anything
> which could be done (themes etc.?) to make things visually
> more similar.
> Even then there will some differences, which can be annoying ...
>
> > But what I was also trying to say was that I think lots more people
> > would use DigiKam if it was also on gnome.
>
> Installing digikam in a gnome environment should be no problem
> if the corresponding packages are available, and they
> should (of course not yet for 0.9.4 ...).
>
> > But yes, of course, DigiKam works OK under Gnome but a little effort is
> > required - this is not ideal for all sorts of reasons.
>
> Actually, it would be good if you could also document
> the additionally needed things in the wiki as well;
> I am sure that this will be helpful to other users
> - already many thanks in advance!
>
> Best, Arnd
>

> > Martin

> > > You are right (at least speaking for me), I hate programming GTK and as you
> > > mentioned before, a lot of KDE stuff is used so porting will never be done
> > > (I'm pretty sure).
> > > The only thing that bothers me when mixing KDE and Gnome apps (or even pure Qt
> > > and KDE apps) are the different looks. I hate that and sure the poster here
> > > hates that, too. But ignoring this fact right now digiKam works quite fine in
> > > a non KDE environment, even D&D should work the way it is supposed to.
> > >
> > > Andi

Dr Martin Fisher
Editor, Oryx - The International Journal of Conservation
Fauna & Flora International, 4th Floor, Jupiter House
Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2JD, UK

e-mail martin.fisher at fauna-flora.org
tel +44 (0)20 81238513
skype martin_pescador