[Digikam-users] Slow start-up time the first time after a system boot-up

Daniel Svärd daniel.svard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:32:53 BST 2008

Hi,

I'm running digikam 0.9.4-rc2 and the first time I start digikam after a
system boot-up it takes a really long time to start. The splash screen shows
up, but stops for a bit on "Finding items not in database". After around a
minute of waiting digikam pops up and I can use it normally. Starting it
from the console gives an output something like this:

atod at jimi ~]digikam
digikam: ICC profiles repository is: icc
Found dcraw version: 8.83
digikam: ScanLib: Finding non-existent Albums: 1744 ms
digikam: ScanLib: Finding items not in database: 72551 ms
digikam: ScanLib: Updating items without a date: 3 ms
digikam: KDirWatch method = INotify
[...]hangs

If I then close digikam down and start it again it starts much quicker.
Console output says it spends about 400 ms on trying to find items not in
the database (instead of over a minute):

atod at jimi ~]digikam
digikam: ICC profiles repository is: icc
Found dcraw version: 8.83
digikam: ScanLib: Finding non-existent Albums: 111 ms
digikam: ScanLib: Finding items not in database: 391 ms
digikam: ScanLib: Updating items without a date: 3 ms
digikam: KDirWatch method = INotify
[...]

Is it supposed to be like this? Is there something strange with my database?
I can't remember this happening with 0.9.3. I think the first time I noticed
this was with 0.9.4-beta5. I also used beta4 at one point in time, but I
cannot recall it happening at that time.

It's not a very big deal, but it's sort of annoying the first time after a
system boot. Any help would be appreciated.

I use Gobolinux and compile digikam and its friends from source.

Regards,
Daniel Svärd