[Digikam-users] EXIF data and Digikam

Dick Angus RJA-Linux at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 4 16:40:01 BST 2008

I am sure that in my lack of knowledge I have missed something here, but I'm
having trouble being able to edit EXIF or IPTC data. I have all my photos
under Digikam and most of them commented and tagged. I would like to be able
to change some of the EXIF or IPTC data on occasion. I think I have all the
required software installed. My photos are all stored TIFF to save any
compression losses. I have also tried PNG as well.

In Digikam, under Image->Metadata->Edit EXIF/IPTC I can see the fields
available and the Document name and Image description/copyright data has been
defaulted in. However, all the fields are greyed out and I can't alter any of
this data. Also, the Caption field does not contain my Caption data from
Digikam. Under configuration I have set the options to synchronize with EXIF
and IPTC - all 3 of the synchronization boxes are checked on the EXIF edit
window, but they are greyed out as well. I have done lots of searches around
the Internet and can't seem to find any help on this issue.

Can I, and if so, how do I get edit access to the EXIF and/or IPTC data of my
photos? How do I get Digikam to put the Caption and Tag data I have created
in Digikam into the EXIF and/or IPTC data?

Another, rather minor issue, the dictionay being used for Caption spell
checking seems to have some permission problems. I can't add my own words to
it. How can I find out what dictionary file is being used so I can address
the permissions issue?

Thanks a lot for any help offered.
--
An old mainframer getting modern