[Digikam-users] Album views - completely broken IMHO

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Jul 4 11:30:59 BST 2008

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Chris G wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:43:48PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > I have just been playing with the various View-Sort Album options
>
> [snip my rant about Album ordering]

;-)

> > Everything else about digikam is just about perfect but this date
> > ordering is driving me crazy!  :-)
> >
> I've just realised what I really want

Good!

> - I want "View-Sort Albums-By
> Date" to do *exactly* that.  I.e. I want the view option to simply
> change the sort order of my albums in the 'normal' view of my albums.
> Preserve all the hierarchy I have carefully created by sorting each level
> within that hiearchy by date.  This is surely quite simple

The relevant code is in
  digikam/albumfolderview.cpp
namely void AlbumFolderView::resort() which in turn makes
use of AlbumFolderViewItem* AlbumFolderView::findParent(...)
with calls depending on the value of getAlbumSortOrder().

In any case I would recommend to open a new wish in the BKO
(unless there is already one about this issue ...).

> in that
> it's just a switch of the sort order in the normal 'View-Sort
> Albums-By Folder' view, it doesn't require the extra complexity
> currently needed for the different view options.
>
> The only issue is that 'date' could mean either the
> creation/modification date of the album/directory or it could mean the
> date in the album properties.  Maybe one could be allowed to choose either.
>
> My ideal would be to allow ordering albums by the date specified in the
> album properties.

Yes; making this configurable could be done in a separate step.

Best, Arnd