[Digikam-users] New GPS tracker for photographers

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue Jan 29 10:14:17 GMT 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Pedro Lourenco Venda wrote:

> Arnd Baecker wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> >
> >> I just found a new "digiKam plugin" :-)
> >>
> >> It's a GPS tracker for about €90 that loads the track data directly into the
> >> SD-cards: http://photofinder.atpinc.com/
>
> Seems cool but maybe a bit intrusive.
> I am using the similarly priced GlobalSat DG-100.
>
> what's good about it:
> - about 30h or continuous running time;
> - good signal sensitivity;
> - very simple interface;
> - hardware independent;
> - runs on two standard AA (or AAA) batteries;
> - the batteries can be recharged by the unit's USB port;
>
> what's not so good about it:
> - the synchronisation process is manual and more tedious (not that there
> was an alternative when I bought it);
> - the software that comes with it is utterly useless (but fortunately
> we're all savvy guys and gpsbabel sorts things out perfectly well);
> - the camera's clock needs to be accurately set and maintained;

This point is always true (even more so if you shoot with
many people and want to exchange images later).
Note that you can use gphoto2 to set the time of the camera.
Together with an up-to-date time for your computer (see ntpdate)
this works very well.

> I wrote about it in my blog:
> http://pjvenda.blogspot.com/2007/09/my-new-toy-globalsat-dg-100-gps-data.html

BTW (to all): feel free to update the digikam wiki
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Digikam+Geolocalization
which already discusses the DG-100 and some other devices + gives
some useful links.

However, the new (great!) information that it works with gps-babel
has not been added.

Thanks, Arnd