[Digikam-users] New User: is digiKam right for me? and if not, what alternative?

Yuval Levy digikam08 at sfina.com
Tue Jan 29 07:19:48 GMT 2008

Gilles Caulier wrote:
>     simlyinking the sqlite database file looks good to me, but IMHO album =
>     folder is bad.
>

> ??? Why ???

because it is an artificial limitation to a single mode of working,
while human beings work in different modes.

I've seen photographers who simply arrive to the office and dump their
flash card onto one single folder. So their folder structure is
something like:
pictures/DCIM/390CANON/
pictures/DCIM/391CANON/
pictures/DCIM/392CANON/

they don't bother to do anything else.

Then there are those like me who store their pictures in one folder per
shooting, sorted by date and with names that have some indication as to
the location or subject:
pictures/071124montreal
pictures/071125pontjacquescartier
pictures/071125pressconference

I happen to do work for a client over multiple days, and sometimes even
multiple locations, which results in multiple folders. In Adobe
Lightroom I just add all of those different folders to one album, and so
I can have an album per client, while still keeping my principal
structure above.

I retain copyright to most of my shooting, so the client perspective
(the albums) is only important until the work for the client finished.
but the chronological perspective is more important to me, for later. it
gives me a sense of how I spent the last months and years.

such a long text to just give one answer: FLEXIBILITY.

thanks for the links to the DBschemas. I'll have a look at them, and if
you're interested I will comment.

Yuv