[Digikam-users] digikam's "Settings, Configure, Identity" IPTC fields

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 11:38:00 GMT 2008

Arnd Baecker wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, elle stone wrote:
>
>> elle stone wrote:
>>
>> > 2a. "Creator" and "Author" are "shared fields", meaning whatever is
>> > entered into the one appears in the other, in the upcoming/developing
>> > (Adobe-led) XMP standards.  Likewise "Author Title" and "Creator's Job
>> > Title" are shared (these "shared fields" are a "backwards
>> compatibility"
>> > thing as XMP evolves to include more than IPTC and EXIF).  So if you
>> work
>> > for an organization, your job title goes here.  If you work for
>> yourself
>> > or take pictures as a passion rather than as a profession, I suppose
>> > "Photographer" or "Starving Artist" might go here.
>>
>> In Digikam under the right sidebar "Metadata - IPTC" the terminology is
>> "By-line" and "By-line Title", which is another "shared field" right
>> along
>> with "Creator" and "Author".  In Digikam, under "Settings, Configure
>> digikam, Identity, Photographer Information" the terminology is "Author"
>> and
>> "Author Title".  What you enter under "Author" shows up under "By-line",
>> which could be confusing, I suppose.
>>
>> Exiftool, which seems to be "the" way to access metadata if you find your
>> metatdata "wants and needs" exceed your gui, uses "By-line" and "By-line
>> Title" to access these two fields.  "By-line" seems to be the older
>> terminology, harking back to the days of newspaper photos being sent over
>> the wires.
>
> Elle, what should be done with this text?
> Do you suggest to add it to the documentation?
>
> Best, Arnd

Arnd - still being a newbie here, I don't know where "documentation" is or
how to access it to change it.  I do think that terminological consistency
within digikam is less confusing to the end-user.  I also think that an
explanation as to why there are so many terms that sound like and sometimes
are the same thing is also a good thing.  I also ran across the "terms of
usage" for using official IPTC publications (from which I was quoting) - and
I'm not sure how these terms of usage affect what is put into digikam
documentation (the "terms" say something like "freely use and make sure a
copy of the terms of usage is included", but how these "terms" affect quotes
which would probably fall under the rubric of "fair usage" is something I'm
not sure about - certainly I never included whole pages of "terms" when
footnoting research papers in college) .

So I am delighted to rewrite anything that should be rewritten, and submit
it to the proper parties, but guidance/direction as to process/procedure
would be needed.  One of my old bosses once said to me - don't bring up a
problem without offering a solution - or in this case, additional
information without including it as needed - but as I said, the "how", the
process, is something I don't know how to do.  If someone sent me text, I
would send it back modified.  If that is how it is done.

Elle