[Digikam-users] Timeline view feedback

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:38:17 GMT 2008

2008/1/24, Gandalf Lechner <gandalf.lechner at esi.ac.at>:

> Hello,

Hi

I played a bit with the new timeline view in current svn. It's a very nice
> addition to the program, and it's working stable and without problems for
> me - thanks a lot to the developers!

Thanks

Here I would like to provide some feedback on the user interaction with the
> new tool, which in my opinion could be improved:
>
> At first, you see this big rectangle shaped "cursor" to navigate through
> the
> timeline, and I was slightly confused that selecting a year (or month,
> week ...) doesn't result in showing you the pictures within the selected
> year. As far as I can tell, the cursor is currently only intended to count
> the images in the database which match the corresponding time selection.
> filter images, you instead have to use the narrow bar at the bottom of the
> timeline viewer, which I overlooked at first.

Yes, this is exactly how KPhotoAlbum Timeline work. I have just reproduce
the same behaviours, for a first time, with of course some improvements like
discontiguous selection for ex.

The code is not a fork of KPhotoAlbum code. It's my proper code written from
scratch. Code from KPhotoAlbum is a little obscur and, from a developper
viewpoint baddly designed... But it's another subject (:=)))

        Probably, most users are more interested in finding images taken in
> some time
> interval, rather than just counting images; in particular since the bar
> view
> already gives you an approximate idea about the relative numbers of images
> involved (maybe there could be some vertical axis with a scale on it,
> too?).

The cursor give us the real value... but it's not designed to perform
selections

        So my suggestion would be to exchange the functionality of the big
> cursor and
> the small bar at the bottom. What I would like even better would be to
> have a
> single cursor thing only, which does the selection and counting business
> at
> the same time - control of the timeline view would then be simpler and
> more
> natural.

Totally agree. You is not alone to report this viewpoint. There are few
pending task to finalize code as well (outside cursor and selection), and
after i will merge selection area with cursor...

Best