[Digikam-users] New DigiKam user

Mike Meiser groups-yahoo-com at mmeiser.com
Fri Jan 18 18:25:32 GMT 2008

Howdy,

Still have yet to find digikam's achilles heal.

Found the geolocation stuff in the images menu. It works great!

Still doing some data portablility tests and export to flickr tests.

The only big question I have left is exactly how much of the rating,
comments, and other photo specific metadata is retained in the photos?
 The obvious reason for this is archiveability, and because I'm likely
to use these photos with various OS's and photo applications.

The only negatives i've found are the minor bug / dependency on
Konqueror for authorization of Flickr export, and that it's not
obvious that you need to install the kipi plugin's which should be
recommended or added by default I think.

My version info.

Am using Ubuntu Gutsy gibbon, installed digiKam withSynaptic package
manager. Using version 0.9.2 final "using KDE 3.5.8" whatever that
means.  Kipi plugins 0.1.5, and a bunch of other stuff.

I think there's another plugin library  (digikamimageplugin) that I
may still need to install.

I really want to be able to run this on my Mac as well. Going to have
to install X11 and FInk Manager I think.

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog