[Digikam-users] Question about EXIF/IPTC, tags, comments, etc.

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:27:15 GMT 2008

2008/1/14, Chris G <cl at isbd.net>:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:57:35PM +0100, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> >
> >    2008/1/14, Arnd Baecker <[1]arnd.baecker at web.de>:
> >
> >      On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Chris G wrote:
> >      > I'm currently scanning a lot of old B&W negatives from the 1960s,
> >      >  initially  I have just scanned them into albums by (approximate)
> >      date
> >      >  as  that  is  how they are stored.   E.g. number 64_04_11 is the
> >      eleventh
> >      > negative of the fourth film I shot in 1964.
> >      >
> >      > So far so good!  :-)
> >      >
> >      > As I'm scanning the negatives I'm putting descriptions (as far as
> >      I am
> >      > able) of the subject etc. in the comments field.  Am I right in
> >      >  thinking  these comments are stored in the image file as well as
> >      in the
> >      > Digikam database?
> >      If you have configured digikam accordingly: yes.
> >      Check the configuration, I think writing that information
> >      into the files is not active by default.
> >      > Now I would like to add some technical information to the images,
> >      what
> >      >  is  the  best  way  of doing this?  I want to add such things as
> >      camera,
> >      >  and  possibly  the  film  type  where I know it.  It seems a bit
> >      clumsy to
> >      >  add  these  as  further  comments  and anyway it would be rather
> >      difficult
> >      > to add the same comment to a batch of images,
> >      I would use tags for this purpose
> >      (actually also even for the description you might
> >      be better of with using tags ....)
> >
> >    Arnd,
> >    A lots of technicals descriptions can be hosted by standard Exif
> tags.
> >    Extra  descriptions  can  be  hosted  by  IPTC  if Exif is not
> enough.
> >    Metadata editor can be used for that :
>
> >    [2]http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/newkipimetadataeditplugi
> >    n2.png
> >    Note  :  With  XMP  supported by KDE4 port, we will host more and
> more
> >    informations with max. interoperability.
>
> Thank you Gilles, I was hoping/expecting to be able to edit the EXIF
> and/or IPTC data somehow, you've told me how.

It raises a couple of questions though:-

>     Can I select a number of pictures in an album and add EXIF tags
>     for all of them in one go?  E.g. can I add the Camera type to many
>     images at one time?

no.

In my first developement version of this plugin, i have started to study
this way, but stopped it to implement a tool to edit pictures one by one.

There is a report in bugzilla to implement something in this way. it's in my
TODO list.

    Is there a way to 'export' Digikam comments to metadata in bulk,
>     i.e. for a whole album?

yes.  For comments you can do it to select all picture from an album, open
caption & tags tab on the right side bar and to change what you want here
(caption, date, rating and tags). all metadata from selected pictures will
be modified.

Gilles