[Digikam-users] tools --> creat mpeg slideshow portrait problem

cotcot nick.alderweireldt at linux.be
Sat Jan 12 08:23:45 GMT 2008

I think I have solved the mpeg slideshow problem.
I have done a couple of tests to understand better where the 'rotate photo'
is stored and which rotate info is used during mpeg rendering.
If I rotate a photo with digikam or gthumb the exiv data do not change. If i
do so with gimp the exiv data change.
If a portrait photo is shown as landscape i have 'right-top' in the exiv
data. Turning it with digikam or gthumb is still 'right-top'; when i open a
'right-top' photo in gimp then gimp asks automatically to correct the
orientation. Answering yes makes the exiv data change to 'top-left'.
Making a slideshow with digikam, kdenlive or cinelerra shows the photos with
'top-left' correctly.
So the digikam mpeg slideshow problem seems solved. I am now somewhat
confused with the photo orientation. Obviously it does not make sense to
rotate photos with digikam if you render them to a slideshow with digikam or
any other tools ? Or do I need to thick 'Embedded preview of the full image
size' in the Album settings' ?
And another question is that my digital camera (Canon 350D) sometimes does
the orientation correction and sometimes does not. This needs some
experimenting but has nothing to do with digikam.