[Digikam-users] Digikam startup hangs

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 09:40:48 GMT 2008

2008/1/9, Thomas Hummel <hummel at pasteur.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running digikam-0.9.3 on kde-3.5.8 on FreeBSD 7.0-RC1.
> If I launch digikam via
>
>   truss digikam (which is like strace digikam on linux), it works
>
> If I launch digikam the first time I start X, it works.
> But if I quit digikam and launch it again, I get only the splash screen
> and
> digikam stop doing anything after "Found dcraw version: 8.81".
>
> ps says digikam is in Idle state and top says it is in the sbwait state.
> gam_server (comming from the gamin-0.1.9 port) is also in the sbwait
> state.
> If I kill gam_server, digikam resumes its normal operations.
>
> So may there be some kind of dead lock issue with these two ?
> What can I do, since gamin is a digikam dependency ?

not directly, but digiKam use KDirWatch  to handle change of directories
contents to update automatically database information about image files and
albums from root collection directory.

If you look at KDirWatch class doc :

http://api.kde.org/3.5-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/kio/html/classKDirWatch.html

...you can read KDirWatch use :

"The implementation uses the FAM service when available; if FAM is not
available, the DNOTIFY functionality is used on LINUX. As a last resort, a
regular polling for change of modification times is done; the polling
interval is a global config option: DirWatch/PollInterval and
DirWatch/NFSPollInterval for NFS mounted directories."

If something is wrong with FAM FreeBSD port, this can be have side effect on
KDirWatch, and of course on digiKam...

Best

Gilles Caulier

Thanks.