[Digikam-users] linking instead of copying

Eddie Armstrong eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 5 23:33:37 GMT 2008

Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> and adding
> virtual albums on top of searches, tags, calendars and collections makes no
> sense anymore.
Not sure exactly what collections are for - I know you can add albums to
them but can you create them from say 'albums' + selected tags?
They would have to be versatile so you could store *exactly* what you
wanted to keep in each collection.
One possible difference would be if you were (say) making a
collection/album of wildlife photos; you might be able to search on tags
and star rating but you might want to edit exactly what files are in the
collection and maybe later arrange their viewing order (and maybe even
layout).
Maybe these are what *I* mean by 'Albums' - where the user collects
together  albums much as Photograph Albums ?
> Maybe we should just drop albums in favor of files, or drop
> the collections, replace them by albums and call the now Albums files.

I do think files should be called files and folders folders (or
directories)- Perhaps this suggestion of yours is the best (depending on
the function of collections).
To Clarify: Do you mean:
Call Collections "Albums":
Call 'My Albums' something like "Folders"

> I would be interested to know a bit more about the 'others' you mention, who
> uses Albums as virtual containers?

These are mostly apps that are for photo albums e.g. canon cameras
provide photo-album software as does Corel and others (all Windows)
there are probably Linux examples but I can't think of any straight off .
There is also the general idea of what a photo album is. And things like
portfolios or shoots could also be considered albums.
> We're well aware of the directory/folder circus, but it's (if I'm not
> mistaken) a KDE policy to use the word 'folder'.

Well KDE certainly uses the word as do the apps e.g. Dolphin.

Eddie