[Digikam-users] svn: crash when opening editor

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Feb 23 18:13:16 GMT 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Daniel Bauer wrote:

> Hi Arnd,
>
> It's not the first time I produce "special" problems... I don't know if it's
> me or my computer. For my mental health sake I hope it's my computer :-)

Surely the computer!

[...]

> I don't know. I remembered my Windows from earlier bad times and so I tried a
> reboot :-)

Uff, obviously you are getting desparate ... ;-)

> Interesting is, that when I now type which digikam I get:
> /opt/kde3/bin/digikam
>
> and for which exiv2 I get:
> /usr/bin/exiv2
>
> Maybe the compilation I did before I entered these command the last time
> changed something, which is now in "normal" order again?
>
> I get the above results also after running the start-digikam.sh script with
> all those export stuff...

These "export"s only work "locally", i.e. within the script.
The script cannot/does not change anything outside of itself.
Only if you copy and paste the commands of the script
to your konsole (shell), they become active/visble.

[...]

> In my backup from my earlier install on the last system I see that I the last
> command (the line after hash -r) in my old start-digikam.sh was:
>
> digikam --caption digikam9 --config digikam9svnrc
>
> while now it is only "digikam" (because I freshly downloaded it from
> digikam.org).
>
> Out of couriosity I tried to add this caption...etc. Then at start-u digikam
> again asked me where the album is, and after displaying the Startpage in
> already crahed when I wanted to open an album (click on an album in the left
> bar).
>
> When I remove this again, it starts up normal and crashes when opening the
> editor, no matter whether I open the editor via Menu, via context-Menu or by
> telling the settings to always open the editor.
>
> Is there a possibility to add a command somewhere to the compile-script to get
> more detailed output from the crash (like debug or something)? I could then
> delete everything, begin from the beginning again and maybe deliver more
> info? Don't know...

Yes, that might be worth a try.
Acually, maybe you should even (temporarily) remove
digikam, libkdcraw,  libkexiv2, libkipi, kipi-plugins, exiv2
from your system (libjasper is ok),
to be sure that there is no library mess-up.

To obtain debuggin information, you have to modify the configure command
in all scripts to
  ./configure   --enable-debug=full   HERE_THE_NORMAL_OPTIONS

To obtain a backtrace you have to
# gdb digikam
> run
> _crash here_
> bt
> _the backtrace is here_
> quit

(A lot more about backtraces/crash reports is discussed
  http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reports
here, but this just for reference, don't think you need to read that ;-).

Hopefully this will help to figure out what is going wrong ...

Best, Arnd