[Digikam-users] Beta1 for Digikam 0.10.0 ?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Feb 20 16:03:59 GMT 2008

> Hi all,
>
> This list of new features is impressive ! thanks for the good work.
>
> By the way concerning GPS, does the database (in Digikam 0.10) contains
> a field to represent the precision of the GPS data ?

No, we do not have this field in the database so far.
It would be a double floating point value in meters (or degrees?), which can
be regarded as expected imprecision of the longitude/latitude values (the
correct value lies in the range longitude/latitude +/- precision).
For GPS tags, it could be derived from the "GPS Dilution of Precision" value
if available, and a constant value assumed for GPS.
For coordinates set by Google map or Marble, it would be derived from the zoom
level at setting the point.
We could not store it in the image metadata with standard exif tags.

The question is, do we need this, will we make use of it?
One could argue that real GPS data is very exact, and if you set your
coordinates yourself, do it as exactly as you want.
Viewpoints

> I think it would be usefull, let me explain why:
> If you localize the picture using google maps at a large zoom : for
> instance you localize a picture using the full world view, you just
> click on one country lets say "france". If you zoom on france it does
> not make sense to display this picture somewhere in france because that
> position will be more or less a "random position".
>
> I think database should contain the information that a picture is
> located at position x, y, z at precision p meters.
> If p is larger than a few pixels at current zoom level then the picture
> tag should not be displayed at this zoom level.
>
> If you think it makes sense I can add this as a wish.

If we want this for 0.10, we will add it here and now, or not.