[Digikam-users] Digikam IPTC

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Feb 19 14:53:01 GMT 2008

michael hughes wrote:

> I really don't think this is "trolling", nor do I find it rude. I am
> english, living in Germany with a german wife and a kid that goes to
> an american school. I speak three languages and travel extensively all
> over the world. To refer to cultural insensitivity is a laugh. Oh and
> by the way I am having therapy and the guy is very good.

Oh heck, I'm a citizen of two countries, speak 3 languages, and I've
lived in Europe, Asia, and America.  All that means is that I've had the
opportunity to be a clod on three continents, not just in my homeland.

Now back to the original post.  The difference is this:

Q. Digikam sucks; X Commercial App is better.

A.  OK, go use X Commercial App and don't bother us.

--or--

Q.  Digikam sucks because it doesn't have the following essential (to
me) functionality.  I've looked in the docs and on the web, and I can't
find how to make it work.  Here's specifically what I did.  It would be
great if it could be added because: blah.  Here's where it needs to be
added and here's the benefit that would be gained.

A.  Great, we're on it.  Or great, but we don't have the resources.  Or
great, added to the wish list.

You chose the first option.  That will not get you what you want.  Open
source developers don't get paid, and thus they don't have to make
anyone happy except for themselves.  You want new features, you have to
get buy in.  Your initial email was not a way to get buy-in.