[Digikam-users] Stackable images

Gerhard Hoogterp gerhard at frappe.xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 5 20:43:59 GMT 2008

G'evening,

Reading the story about digikamDAM reminded me of a features which I wanted
to request for some time. I never really knew how to describe it. This was
until recently I read about the stackable photo's feature in photoshop?
Bridge?

Anyhow, the idea is that images with the same basename would present
themselfs as a single image stack. They can share keywords, tags etc. as
they are versions of the same image.

An example:
I download an image from my minolta as pict0001.mrw which I then load into
my raw file converter and convert int pict0001.jpg. As I want to upload the
image to photosig, usefilm etc. I create a version which has the right size
and a frame which I name pict0001.online.jpg. As I would like to print it
or to use it as a wallpaper I could also end up with a pict0001.20x30.jpg
and a pict0001.wallpaper.jpg

While this is just my way of naming things (and they are in a folder
structure with some added logic) it shows at least my wish to handle all
those versions as a single entity.
As in this case it could be automated (images with the same basename are
stacked) doing something alike manual could be beneficial for those with
other naming scheme's.

Before making it a real wish in the wish/bugbase I thought it would be a
good idea to poll the opinions here first.

Gerhard H.

--
Website: http://ithaka.mine.nu/