[Digikam-users] LightZone

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:21:44 GMT 2008

2008/2/5, Gerhard Kulzer <gerhardkgmx at gmail.com>:

> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 Markus Spring wrote:
> > Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> > | if you're tagging your whole collection you might be interested in
> reading this:
> > | http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=DigikamDAM
> > Gerhard, this is an excellent article! Thank you for this compilation.
> >
> > One question regarding dng: As far as I know there is no linux software
> > create dng's out of raw files, is this correct?
> >
> > As I have already exchanged my camery and have a pile of raw files from
> my old
> > camera, I can do nothing but rely on dcraw's strategy to digest new
> formats
> > without dropping old ones - or convert all my files to tiff in order to
> play
> > safe. But then I have to create sidecar files for all the metadata...
> >
> > Regards - Markus
>
> You are right, there's no DNG software (AFAIK) on Linux yet, unless you
> want to try this:
>
> http://mat.users.geeky.net/serendipity/index.php?/archives/244-A-dcraw-patch-to-enable-DNG-output-finally!.html

This is RAW linear uncompressed image data storage... Wrong way...

It is of course one of our near future goals to support DNG. It needs tiff
> writing support be exiv2

Exiv2 author said to me than next main release of Exiv2 will support it

and libtiff to start with.

DNG file are tiff/ep file extension. You can writte DNG file using libtiff,
in therory, but like there is no JPEG lossless with 16 bits color depth
support in libtiff (see my previous message), libtiff cannot help us...

I took DNG up in my article because, whilst it is focussed on digiKam, it
> take a bit of a general stance on DAM, and DNG seems to be the way to go for
> RAW. Right noe the best digiKam way to go about RAW is to keep RAW files and
> to convert into PNG, although there is no full metadata PNG support either.

Full metatada support is implemented in digiKam, but wrtting on the fly
using Exiv2 is not yet done.

If you open an RAW or JPEG image in digiKam image editor and you cnvert it
to PNG, all metadata will be preserved (the image is written from scratch).
And when i said all metadata, i want mean Exif/makernote/GPS/IPTC/XMP !

I have an uncomplete patch against Exiv2 on my computer to support PNG
writting mode on the fly... I just need to find more free time to complete
it.

Gilles