[Digikam-users] More than one physical Album root?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 4 13:48:07 GMT 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:08:57PM +0000, "Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> > On Monday 04 February 2008 Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
>
> >> I wonder if it is possible (I suppose not now actually) to have not one
> >> but two physical Albums. While this looks like complicating stuff only
> >> for providing a useless Feature, this would solve one kind of problem:
> >>
> >> There are images I would keep public while roswing and looking at them
> >> with family and firends, there are other kind of pictures I would keep
> >> private between me and my girlfriend. So these kind of pictures would
> >> reside on a separate dm-crypted partition...
>

> > Just another trick:
> > I have a private folder located within the digiKam Album tree. When I don't want to have these photos available, I just rename that folder to .privat (dot in front of it). It will then disappear from digikam's view, but the data remains in the database. When you rename it again to 'private', all information about it is there, no lengthy rereading of metadata. You have to do the renaming outside digikam, e.g. on a command line: mv private .private. That's it.
> >
> > Gerhard
> >

> To differenciate such sensitive material, I would consider
> making a separate user-account for this ;-).
> Seperate root albums in preferences for digiKam; only
> problem left is how to move images between the two folder trees.
>
> Just my 10 centimes...

... and a very good 10 centimes too!  :-)   I hadn't thought of doing
it that way but it makes a lot of sense especially where the
requirement is to separate 'sensitive' images.  Those images are
effectively protected by a different password and permissions can be
set so no one else (except root) can see them.  Log out from that
account (which can be used solely for that purpose) and they're fairly
safe and more to the point won't pop into view by mistake.

--
Chris Green