[Digikam-users] digikam on Xandros

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Feb 1 07:52:25 GMT 2008

Hi Cyril,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, cyril bitton wrote:

> hello,
> i'm newbie in Linux, and i just have an eee pc.
> i'd like to install and use  digikam but i don't know how to do
> does someone can help me?
> or  show  me a link where i can read step by step how to make it?
> thanks a lot
>
> cyril

The lack of any reply could indicate that no one has done so far.

According to
  http://www.xandros.com/products/home/home_edition/specs.html
it is "Based on the DCC Alliance standards-based Debian core"
(in the German version they are more specific and say
debian sarge).

What is the precise version you have?
Googling for "xandros digikam" shows that some (older?) version
of xandros has digikam available as package.

So you could try (on the command-line):
  apt-cache search digikam
and see if there is a digikam package. You should get someting like
  digikam - digital photo management application for KDE
  digikam-doc - handbook for digikam and showfoto in several languages
  digikamimageplugins - image editor plugins for digikam and showfoto
  digikamimageplugins-doc - Handbook for digikam image editor plugins in
  kipi-plugins - image manipulation/handling plugins for KIPI aware
and then (as root) install digikam:
  aptitude install digikam

However, if there is no package, someone else might provide them
for xandros (a quick google did not reveal anything though);
Doesn't xandros has a support forum where you could ask?
(Also this would tell them that people want digikam ;-).

Last resort (might be slow on that machine, and maybe only
doable with an external USB drive due to lack of disc space)
would be to build from source, either from the released tarballs
for 0.9.3 or the current development version, see
  http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn
in particular below "Install digiKam in your Home Directory".
However, this is not completely trivial  for a linux newbie ... ;-)

Best, Arnd