[Digikam-users] RAW workflow & digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 08:11:02 BST 2008

2008/8/26 Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl>:
> Dnia Monday 25 of August 2008, Sebastian Schubert napisaƂ:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just a newbie and would like to get some idea for a good workflow.
>> I want to shoot RAW files.  My idea:
>>
>> 1) download files to a backup folder
>> 2) copy them to another folder, scan through it, delete bad ones and
>> keep the others
>> 3) produce jpg from the files in 2)
>
> When you took all hassle to make RAWs don't develop them to JPEG, waste
> of time. Use PNG or TIFF - digiKam has better support for metadata in
> PNGs, but TIFF is industry standard (which is strange way to describe
> TIFF but that is another story :).

Note: When Exiv2 0.18 will be released, TIFF support will be perfect
in digiKam. Nothing will be lost as photo exif information and
makernotes. This is not the fault to digiKam, but to libtiff which is
badly designed to manage metadata.

Also, With Exiv2 0.18, digiKam will be able to write metadata onthe
fly with TIFF, PNG, JPEG2000 and TIFF/EP RAW files.