[Digikam-users] Digikam workflow questions

David Rolph david at fromoz.com
Wed Apr 30 13:06:54 BST 2008

Hi Everybody,

Well after stumbling around in the wilderness for a while, I discovered
Digikam today and I am incredibly excited.  It seems to be exactly what I am
looking for in a photo management tool.

I these workflow related questions are not too end userish for what seems to
be quite a technical board.

1.) I shoot in JPG and RAW.  I want to be able to import my photos into
DigiKam (no problem) and then review them (no problem) and then delete the
ones that I don't like (no problem).  But I would like to have the raw file
(in my case a NEF) deleted together with the jpg file.  As it is now I must
separately seek out the NEF with the same name to delete it.  I would think
this is a pretty standard workflow.  Is there a way to automate this or work
differently to how I do?

2.) I use Smugmug to host my photos.  They have a number of methods to
upload photos.  I quite understand that its a bit too early to expect an
interface to the smugmug API at this time.  But Smugmug does support a drag
and drop interface.  If I tag my photos destined for smugmug then I can
easily show them all on the one page and select them all.  I can even drag
them around in the Digikam interface, but they are not dragable to the
Smugmug java upload interface within their upload page.  The best way I can
find to do it is to hunt them down in Konqueror and drag them over one at a
time which seems like a shame considering how close I am.

Thanks for making this great tool.  Its simply amazing :-)

cheers,
david