[Digikam-users] GPS data for raw files in xmp sidecar

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Apr 15 18:28:02 BST 2008

> Hi list,
> being interest in geotagging and script savvy I have a script for
> associating my ~ gps coordinate data with my raw image files by writing
> them (with Image::ExifTool) into an XMP sidecar file. It looks like this:
>
> <?xpacket begin='' id='W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d'?>
> <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='Image::ExifTool 7.15'>
> <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'>
> ~ <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
> ~  xmlns:exif='http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/'>
> ~  <exif:GPSAltitude>546962/1169</exif:GPSAltitude>
> ~  <exif:GPSAltitudeRef>0</exif:GPSAltitudeRef>
> ~  <exif:GPSImgDirection>0/1</exif:GPSImgDirection>
> ~  <exif:GPSImgDirectionRef>T</exif:GPSImgDirectionRef>
> ~  <exif:GPSLatitude>47,50.230283N</exif:GPSLatitude>
> ~  <exif:GPSLongitude>12,58.573992E</exif:GPSLongitude>
> ~  <exif:GPSMapDatum>WGS-84</exif:GPSMapDatum>
> ~ </rdf:Description>
> ~ <rdf:Description rdf:about=''
> ~  xmlns:photoshop='http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/'>
> ~  <photoshop:City>Rott</photoshop:City>
> ~ </rdf:Description>
> </rdf:RDF>
> </x:xmpmeta>
> <?xpacket end='w'?>
>
> Now the question is: will the XMP support of future digikam versions read
> those sidecar files along with the embedded exif information from the raw
> file?

About support for XMP and GPS coordinates in the database: Yes, this will be
supported in 0.10.
The problem here are the sidecar files, I dont know if they are supported yet
by libexiv2 or if there are plans for this. Actually, I dont know anything
about such files. Gilles?

What is already working is to read in a GPX file from your GPS tracker,
associate with the Geolocalization KIPI plugin and have the data in the
digikam database. (Note: All this applies to the 0.10 / KDE4 version only)

> Can I put additional, IPTC-like information about copyright and authorship
> as well as geografical information (country, place of the photo) into the
> XMP as well and have it honored later on in digikam?

I plan to read in some of these IPTC fields (IPTC core) into the properties
table, but the code is not yet there IIRC. In principle, it will be no
problem to support these fields and make them searchable.