[Digikam-users] 16bit editiing and auto-whitebalance

Benjamin Schindler bschindler at student.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 15 15:42:00 BST 2008

Hi

I just bought a Nikon D60 and started to experiment with Raw photos, so
I have two questions/suggestions (I'm on a gentoo box using latest beta):

- Why is 16bit dcraw decoding not enabled by default? 16bit is one of
the major reasons to use raw, so I would expect to have 16bit unless
instructed otherwise
- I've created just very few raw photos, but one thing struck me: Take
the following raw: http://n.ethz.ch/~bschindl/fotos/DSC_0033.NEF. The
embedded jpeg (which I assume is the one visible in the album view)
looks nicely vivid. But when opening the image, it looks _very_ bad. I
know cameras apply their set of improvements, but I have left the camera
with the default settings, so it shouldn't be this bad. Why is this so?
I know I can just do some color corrections to get this, but it would be
great if this would be the starting point for editing!

On another note - I read the comments on the raw workflow on dot.kde.org
which were posted on the digikam lookahead. I kinda have to agree - a
workflow as used in rawstudio for example would be extremely nice.

Cheers!
Benjamin