[Digikam-users] move some pictures to network drive

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:37:50 BST 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 Andy Barr wrote:
> I have 18 GB (5 years) of photos tagged in Digikam on my laptop.  I have
> backed up all my pictures to dvd and another hard drvie.  I would like
> to move all but the last two years of pictures to a networked drive.  I
> would like to not loose all my tags and even still be able to view the
> pictures on the networked drive if I am connect to my network.
>
> Is there a recommenced way to accomplish this without messing up all my
> existing tags?

Well yes.
First make sure that the tags are written into the files (check the setup options or do it with Album->Synchronize images with database). Open an image (of which you now that it had no tags in its metadata) with another application, konqueror->properties->metadata for example, and verify that the metadata has been written into the image files.

Then you can move them onto a network drive.

Mount the network drive to the same folders as they were before. In this case everything should work seemless and transparent when you start digiKam again.

If you have to mount it elsewhere, you have to rescan the image library. digiKam will then re-populate the database with the newly found images and import the metadata.

Hope that answers your question :-)

Gerhard