[Digikam-users] Digikam video support

Mike Meiser groups-yahoo-com at mmeiser.com
Fri Apr 11 09:25:36 BST 2008

So,

With Flickr offering video support and it being the first mainstream
media posting site to support both video and photo... and also it
being fairly well integrated with digikam.  And also... with a simple
video editor being a big request on Ubuntu Brainstorms (is there some
sort of KDE brainstorms?)

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/131/

...I have to ask what's the current status of video support in
Digikam, and what are the future plans?

I tried googling on the topic and all I found was that there is basic
support for videos in digikam, but I couldn't even find the specs as
to what formats are supported, nor what playback engine it uses.

Is there any plan to extend the flickr support to include video yet...
or should I be inquiring on a different mailing list about that?

Finally, the really big question. Are there any plans for basic video
editing in Digikam?

I don't think video editing is essential, in fact digikam could just
launch annother video editing application to edit clips, but ideally
there would be some extremely simple implimentation within digikam.
Most people wouldn't need a lot, most likely just the ability to cut
or splice clips, add subtitles/titling and music, and some sort of
export to some basic video formats.

Just curious.

Thanks,

-Mike