[Digikam-users] Suggestion for a Showfoto

Thomas Sperre thomas.sperre at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 21:25:18 BST 2008

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" <sveinki at nett.is> wrote:
Other approach, also quite unsuitable for laptops, is
Blender. But anyway who does 3D on a laptop?

  Who does 3D on a laptop? I do.....
  At work I have two computers running windows, 1 is a desktop with dual head display running WinXP64 and the other is a laptop with a wide screen running WinXP32. I am working with "3d" most of the time (although it is not graphical 3D modelling it is quite similar in terms of vizualisation and tool needs).
  As my current project does not exceed the memory limitations of a 32bit system I use my laptop more than the desktop these days. 32 bit systems have a lot of advantages wrt software and compatibility even on WinXP. Also the program I use offer enough flexibility for me to work efficently with my laptop screen real estate. (This is also a matter of adapting personal habits). Another great advantage with the laptop is that it goes where I go and I can always get my job done.
  On the other hand I can do things on my workstation that is simply not possible on the laptop - mostly "big computing" and high-end vizualisation.

  Most of my ideas on what to do with Digikam and kipiplugins in terms of development are derived from applications that I have used at work. I am happy to contribute with my experience.