[Digikam-users] Suggestion for a Showfoto

Lawrence Plug ljplug at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 9 20:47:54 BST 2008

I'm another mostly-lurker on this list, and a new one,  but am a daily
user of digikam. I like the mockup a great deal. It would improve
showfoto's usability and appearance quite a bit. I'll offer up one
suggestion for a modification to the mockup, which I would prefer
slightly.

Rather than have the tools selected from a dropdown menu, an alternative
would be to have the tools within tabs stacked vertically, which then
individually drop down to show their respective sliders etc when
selected.  This is the way that rawtherapee, for example, organizes
tools. I find it very convenient (I use rawtherapee for ORFs). The tools
are stacked in the order that they would generally be used (WB and
exposure at the top, noise reduction near the bottom), and more than one
tool can be opened at a time.

The advantage of this is that all the related tools are visible (visual
cue to user), and because several can be open at one time, it is
possible to see their settings even when not adjusting that particular
tool. I find this useful. The commonly used tools i just leave open,
others are nearly always closed.

The tools would be grouped into broader categories of transform tools,
filters etc.. exactly as shown in the mockup.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to open and close a tool with a keystroke.
eg. ctrl-s drops down (or up) sharpening.

On a related note (perhaps I should open a different thread) it would be
FANTASTIC if showfoto would operate nondestructively on RAWs, like
rawtherapee does, rather than the converted images. Perhaps this is
already in the pipeline.

cheers
Lawrence

** screenshot of the rawtherapee layout, with white balance and
sharpening tools open.
http://ljplug.smugmug.com/photos/277201951_u8QY4-X2.jpg