[Digikam-users] digiKam + Pentax *-ist DL == photo booth ?

David W. Talmage talmage at onespeeddave.com
Wed Sep 19 14:33:15 BST 2007

Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you mean by "Photo booth" exactly ?

Oh.  Sorry.  Photo booths used to be common in the USA.  You could find them in drug stores, 5 & 10's, train stations, bus stations, and airports.  A photo booth is a little room with a seat big enough for two people.  There is a camera inside.  For a little money, the camera takes a few tiny pictures.  In a few minutes, the pictures pop out of a slot on the outside of the booth.  You can see a photo booth in the movie Amelie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9lie).

I want to do something like that but without the money.  I'll use this at a party.  I'll set up the camera on a tripod and maybe hook up some studio strobes.  I'll connect the camera to the computer.  Over time, my guests will stand before the camera, remote control in hand.  They will trigger the camera with the remote and the computer will display resulting image on its monitor.  Afterward, my guests can use digiKam to browse the evening's images and print the ones they like on my 4x6 photo printer.

One way to do this is for digiKam to control the camera.  I can't figure out how to do that.

Another way is for the camera to act as both camera and USB mass storage.  digiKam or another program would monitor the mass storage for new pictures and add them to an album.  I can make my *-ist DL act as either a camera or as USB mass storage but not both.  I've written to Pentax customer support for help with that.

Dave